Sunday, June 27, 2010

I'm so confused!

After reading the Environmental Working Group's 2010 Sunscreen Guide today, I did what I'm certain millions of other American's did -- I panicked!  According to EWG, only a few dozen  sunscreens on the market actually protect us as they should or as they promise.  After searching for the products I typically use, I was aghast -- not only did they not make the cut, but they are on the "avoid" list because they contain "harmful chemicals" that can enter your bloodstream.  Ick. I'd rather go au naturel than expose myself  and my children to harmful chemicals!

As I've mentioned before in my post discussing the need for Vitamin D, I cannot imagine life without time in the sun.  I recognize that the best sunscreen is a hat and shirt.  I am crazy about hats, but I admit I enjoy feeling the sun on my skin.  My rule is to limit my direct sun exposure to 30 minutes a day.  After that I slather like crazy.  

The EWG's science is impressive, albeit confusing to a non-scientific mind.  The bottom line for me is this: I need to purchase all new sunscreens to ensure my family is protected from both UVA and UVB rays!  And no, a trip to HEB will not suffice.  They brands they recommend will require an online purchase.  Click here for a search for one of their top rated brands, Badger

To see all their Top Sunscreens, click here.  

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity