Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Sun: Evil or Necessary Medicine?

I have been known to peruse a plethora of parenting books until I find a parenting style with which I agree and then tout it as the "best" approach, thereby negating all other theories. I gain security solely by finding a published author agreeing with my method. With all the confusion and various approaches, how else does a mother survive?!

I am now applying this same approach to sun exposure. I've finally found someone willing to say sun exposure is good for you! It does indeed feel good to be in the sun. Certainly it can't be all evil, right?!

I have been reading Gwenyth Paltrow's blog, GOOP, for some time now. I subscribe to the weekly feed and am always pleased with the culmination of experts' opinions and other useful information she brings together on various subjects.

This week: Vitamin D and sun exposure. The expert: Dr. Frank Lipman MD, founder and director of the Eleven Eleven Wellness Center in NYC, where he combines the best of Western medicine with age-old healing techniques from the East. Dr. Lipman advocates that regular, moderate, unprotected sun exposure is essential for good health. You read that right -- ESSENTIAL. Read the entire piece by clicking here.

No one advocates throwing all your sunscreen into the waste bin. But today at the pool I may actually wait 30 minutes before applying sunscreen. When the judging mothers gasp due to my blatant irreverence towards the sun I will quote from Dr. Frank Lipman, who clearly the advocates the "best" approach: all things in moderation, my friend, all things in moderation.




Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity